Monday, October 11, 2010

Fossils, Molds, & Casts

In Science last week, we did an exciting quick lab!  We used clay, plaster of paris, and shells to create our own casts and molds.  We discovered that the mold and the cast are similar because each has the shape of the shell, but they are different because the mold is hollow and the cast is solid.  They are also made out of different materials. 




Here are some student comments about this experiment:

Emily:  The experiment was really fun and cool!  I liked putting the plaster into the clay.

Tristan:  It is so much fun because we got to make a fossil.  My favorite part was to flatten the clay.

Taylor: The experiment we did was really fun. We got to get our hands a little messy with clay and petroleum jelly. It was really cool!

Erin: I really liked the experiment!  It was really fun!  I loved to put the shell into the clay!

Ki:  I thought the experiment was really cool! I love science!

Kaylin: It was so fun and cool!  

Anjie: I liked when we got to work in groups.

Regina: I liked the experiment.  It was fun to use plaster.  I can't believe we made fossils!

Zach: The experiment was really fun. The shells came out really well.

Rachel: When I did the expariment I felt like a real Sientist.

Shelby: I liked shaping the shells into the clay. It felt like a real fossil.

Stef: I thought that the experiment taught me something completely new.

Adam: I loved when we put the plaster into the clay.

Ryan: The petroleum jelly felt like it was burning.

 


2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you all enjoyed the experiment. Thank you for sharing your work and thoughts. Keep up the good work. And keep me informed of future blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations to all on a job well done! Please keep me informed on new blogs.

    ReplyDelete